Vanguard Weiss Memorial Hospital, affiliated with the University of Chicago Medicine, is a Joint Commission-accredited, 236-bed healthcare facility providing a full range of medical and surgical services to meet the needs of our diverse patient base. Patients receive leading-edge diagnostic and treatment options without leaving the community setting of Weiss. Please visit our Medical Services page to learn more about our specialty services and programs.
Weiss has more than 450 physicians in 42 medical specialties, and more than 800 employees who speak more than two dozen languages. Anthony J. Tedeschi, M.D., M.P.H, M.B.A., is the Chief Executive Officer at Weiss Memorial Hospital and also serves as Vanguard Health System’s Chief Medical Officer in the Chicago market.
Striving to be an active community partner, Weiss coordinates several outreach programs and support groups. Ever changing and growing with the diverse community it serves, the hospital offers a unique Patient Advocacy Program to provide translation services.
Growing with the community
Vanguard Health Systems, Inc., formed in 1997, currently owns and operates more than two dozen acute care hospitals and complimentary ancillary services and facilities. Vanguard works to enhance a community, rich in full service health care providers, for an urban market. Growing along with the community is a major goal at Weiss during the next five years. Toward that end, major infrastructure enhancements are underway as well as a renewed commitment to providing excellent customer service—all building on the hospital's reputation for providing quality health care. Here are some recent examples:
- A new modern, efficient emergency department provides patients with the level of care they need with improved timeliness and privacy. This also includes a fast-track area for less severe cases, and enhanced specialty programs for stroke, chest pain, asthma and pain management.
- A new intensive care unit provides highly advanced resources for care of critically ill patients.
- Our new pavilion entrance includes convenient registration and admitting areas.
- The addition of a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machine offers convenience of on-site radiology care.
- Several community-based physician clinics servicing our communities.
- 4646 N. Marine Drive, Chicago, IL 60640
- Convenient and easily accessible at Wilson Avenue and Lake Shore Drive
Patient Service Statistics:
- 96,262 outpatient visits.
- 8,200 patients admitted.
- 43,167 patient days.
- 7,822 discharges.
- 23,617 emergency department visits.
- 58% of Weiss inpatients are covered by Medicare, while 24% are covered by Medicaid.
- More than 450 physicians, more than 60 residents and fellows, and 216 nurses.
- 85% board certified.
- 26% primary care physicians.
- All major medical and surgical specialties represented.
- Located along Chicago's beautiful lakefront, Weiss serves a primary service area of more than 600,000 people, including neighborhoods from Lakeview and Logan Square, to Rogers Park and Skokie.
- Primary service area zip codes: 60640, 60660, 60626, 60645, 60659, 60625, 60613.
- Asian: 6%
- African-American: 21%
- Euro-American: 54%
- Hispanic: 9%
- Other: 10%
- Asian/Pacific Islander: 26%
- African-American: 24%
- Caucasian: 40%
- Hispanic: 10%
- Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander: Less than 1%
- American Indian/Alaskan Native: Less than 1%
- Male: 29%
- Female: 71%
- Total employees: 1,073