The da Vinci Surgical System consists of an ergonomically designed surgeon's console, a patient-side cart with four interactive robotic arms, the high-performance InSite® Vision System and proprietary EndoWrist® Instruments. Powered by state-of-the-art robotic technology, the surgeon's hand movements are scaled, filtered and seamlessly translated into precise movements of the EndoWrist Instruments. The net result: an intuitive interface with breakthrough surgical capabilities.
- Using the da Vinci Surgical System, the surgeon operates while seated comfortably at a console viewing a 3-D image of the surgical field.
- The surgeon's fingers grasp the master controls below the display, with hands and wrists naturally positioned relative to his or her eyes.
- The system seamlessly translates the surgeon's hand, wrist and finger movements into precise, real-time movements of surgical instruments inside the patient.
Patient Side Cart
- Provides either three or four robotic arms-two or three instrument arms and one endoscope arm-that execute the surgeon's commands.
- The laparoscopic arms pivot at the 1-2 cm operating ports, eliminating the use of the patient's body wall for leverage and minimizing tissue damage.
- Supporting surgical team members assist in installing the proper instruments, prepare the 1-2 cm port in the patient and supervise the laparoscopic arms and tools being utilized.
- A full range of proprietary EndoWrist instruments is available to support the surgeon while operating.
- The instruments are designed with seven degrees of motion that mimic the dexterity of the human hand and wrist.
- Each instrument has a specific surgical mission such as clamping, suturing and tissue manipulation.
- Quick-release levers speed instrument changes during surgical procedures.
- The Vision System, with high-resolution 3-D endoscope and image processing equipment, provides the true-to-life 3-D images of the operative field.
- Operating images are enhanced, refined and optimized using image synchronizers, high-intensity illuminators and camera control units.
The da Vinci Surgical System is the only commercially available technology that can provide the surgeon with the intuitive control, range of motion, fine tissue manipulation capability and 3-D visualization characteristic of open surgery, while simultaneously allowing the surgeon to work through tiny incisions typical of minimally invasive surgery.