Director, Chicago Bone Metastases Center at Weiss Memorial Hospital
Surgeon, Chicago Center for Orthopedics
Assistant Professor of Clinical Orthopaedics, University of Illinois at Chicago
An award-winning researcher and lecturer, Yasser Farid, M.D., Ph.D., specializes in adult reconstructive surgery, revision arthroplasty, treatment of infected joints, orthopedic oncology (including pelvic and extremity tumors, and metastatic disease) and traumatology. He began his practice in 2003 as an Associate Lecturer of Orthopedic Oncology at the Center for Preservation and Transplantation of Musculoskeletal Tissues, at Cairo University Hospitals in Egypt. There, he performed musculoskeletal tumor resections and reconstructions using grafts, allografts, endoprostheses and composites.
Listed most recently in the Who’s Who in the World 2010 edition, Dr. Farid has authored several research papers and presentations. In 2000, Cairo University awarded him a grant to conduct a clinical research fellowship in orthopedic oncology at Harvard University, and in 2002 the United States Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service awarded him 0-1 status as an "Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Achievements."
Dr. Farid earned his medical and doctoral degrees at Cairo University. He then completed multiple fellowships at Harvard University Massachusetts General Hospital, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and the University of Chicago. Dr. Farid speaks English and Arabic.
Year Started Practice
- Hip and knee replacement
- Infected total joints
- Metastatic disease
- Orthopedic oncology
- Hip and knee replacement, revision arthroplasty and treatment of infected total joints
- Orthopedic oncology, including pelvic and extremity tumors, and metastatic disease and bone cancer
- Traumatology, especially pelvic and acetabular fractures
- Workers compensation
- Medical School: Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt (M.D. and Ph.D.)
- Internship: Cairo University Hospitals, Cairo, Egypt
- Residency: Cairo University Hospitals, Cairo, Egypt
- Fellowship: Harvard University, Massachusetts General Hospital and Children’s Hospital, Boston, MA (Orthopedic Oncology)
- Fellowship: University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX (Orthopedic Oncology)
- Fellowship: University of Chicago (Adult Reconstructive Surgery), IL
Telephone: (773) 564-5863
Fax: (773) 564-5879