Surgeon, Vanguard Chicago Center for Orthopedics
Assistant Professor of Orthopaedics, University of Illinois at Chicago
Benjamin Goldberg, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He specializes in shoulder, elbow and knee surgery, as well as general orthopaedics, limb deformity and fracture care. He performs many upper extremity joint replacements as well as minimally invasive shoulder and elbow surgery.
While earning his undergraduate and medical degrees from Northwestern University, Dr. Goldberg participated in the Honors Program in Medical Education, combining both programs into six years, and he received his B.S. and M.D. with distinction.
Dr. Goldberg completed his surgical internship and orthopedic residency at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, where he won an American Orthopaedic Association Residency Award. He additionally had the highest scores in North America on the Orthopedic In-Training Examination (OITE), which measures knowledge among orthopedic surgery residents.
After he completed his residency, Dr. Goldberg trained at the University of Washington, where he had advanced training in shoulder and elbow pathology. Additionally, he trained at the University of Zurich, Switzerland, as well as Lyon, France, where he trained with European shoulder experts and learned muscle transfers about the shoulder and reverse shoulder arthroplasty years before the procedure was FDA approved. Dr. Goldberg had additional training in Lecco, Italy, at the Ospidale di Lecco/ASAMI, which specialized in limb deformity correction, limb lengthening and complex fracture management. While in Lecco, he worked with the European pioneers of the Ilizarov method.
Dr. Goldberg consults with the orthopaedic industry to design and improve orthopaedic implants, instruments, joint replacements and techniques of the shoulder and elbow. He has instructed orthopaedic surgeons in the surgical treatment of multiple conditions nationally and internationally. He was inducted into the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, which is the premier association of worldwide shoulder and elbow surgeons. Dr. Goldberg has contributed to or authored more than 50 publications and has presented at numerous national and international meetings. He is fluent in Spanish.
Year Started Practice
- Rotator cuff repairs without acromioplasty
- Shoulder and elbow arthritis and joint replacement
- Tendon transfers for severe weakness of the shoulder and elbow
- Shoulder and elbow instability
- Shoulder and elbow stiffness
- Shoulder and elbow fracture management
- Shoulder and elbow deformities, nonunion
- Workers compensation
- Medical School: Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- Internship: Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Residency: Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Fellowship: University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA
- Fellowship: Ospidale di Lecco/ASAMI, Lecco, Italy
- Fellowship: University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Telephone: (773) 564-7760
Fax: (773) 564-7747
For more information go to www.orthodoc.aaos.org/bengoldberg.