Surgeon, Chicago Center for Orthopedics
Medical Director, Chicago Spine Center Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Illinois
Purnendu Gupta, M.D., is Medical Director of the Chicago Spine Center at the Chicago Center for Orthopedics. He specializes in the care of patients with all cervical and lumbar degenerative spinal disorders, with expertise in adult and pediatric scoliosis and kyphosis, spondylolisthesis, tumors, traumatic injuries and complex spinal reconstruction.
Dr. Gupta is active in clinical outcomes research on spinal surgical techniques and basic science research on bone morphogenetic protein. He has published and presented internationally, having received numerous honors including the prestigious Spine Volvo Award in Biomechanics from the International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine for ergonomic research.
Additionally, Dr. Gupta serves on the editorial board for several journals,including The Spine Journal, Clinical Biomechanics and the American Journal of Sports Medicine for spine topics. He has volunteered his surgical expertise for The Foundation of Orthopedics and Complex Spine, traveling to Ghana to underserved areas, which was recognized by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He is also an active member of the Scoliosis Research Society and the North American Spine Society.
Year Started Practice
- Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, August 1996 – July 2000
- Associate Professor of Surgery, Department of Surgery, Section of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine, August 2000 – March 2012
- Director, University of Chicago Spine Center, August 2009 – March 2012
- Director, Chicago Spine Center at Weiss Memorial Hospital, May 2012 – present
- Consultant, Shriners Hospital, Chicago, 2005 – present
View Dr. Gupta's CV (PDF) for more information.
- Cervical and lumbar degenerative disorders
- Pediatric and adult scoliosis and kyphosis
- Disc herniation
- Spinal stenosis
- Spinal tumors
- Spine trauma
- Complex spinal reconstruction
- Workers compensation
- Medical School: Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- Internship: Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- Residency: Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- Spinal Fellowship: Washington University, St. Louis, MO
Telephone: (773) 564-SPINE
Fax: (773) 564-7747