Center for Gender Confirmation Surgery
For an appointment with a gender confirmation surgery specialist
A New Beginning Starts Here
The Center for Gender Confirmation Surgery at Weiss Memorial Hospital is ready to help make transitions complete. We’re one of only a handful of centers in the country that offers a comprehensive approach to gender confirmation surgery. We invite you to discover how the expert, compassionate staff at Weiss works with people as they embark on a new beginning.
A Unique Program
The Center for Gender Confirmation Surgery, led by medical director Loren S. Schechter, MD, FACS, offers the full spectrum of gender-confirming procedures consistent with the guidelines established by the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH).
Our top priority is to provide high-quality, compassionate care in a welcoming, patient-centered environment.
Our program coordinator helps patients throughout the process, including:
- Navigating travel arrangements, if needed
- Assisting with the insurance coverage process as well as financing options
- Confirming pre-surgical requirements and assisting with coordinating medical information before and after surgery
- Coordinating care needs after surgery
- Helping with referrals to support resources, as needed
Meet Our Team
Get to know our compassionate, experienced team of professionals that are with you every step of your journey. Meet our team.
After surgery, patients recover on a dedicated post-surgical unit. Privacy and comfort are enhanced with large, private rooms providing beautiful views of Lake Michigan. An extra bed is also available in each room, allowing a visitor to stay with the patient.
Insurance Coverage and Financing
An increasing number of insurance plans are offering coverage for gender confirmation surgery. Our program coordinator assists patients with the insurance precertification process.
Requirements for surgery depend on the procedure requested. Our program coordinator will assist with questions and arrange an in-person evaluation with our doctor. Request more information below or call us at (866) 362-6888.
Gender Confirmation Procedures
- Penile Inversion Vaginoplasty
- Intestinal Vaginoplasty
- Breast Augmentation
- Body Contouring
- Facial Feminization Surgery
- Chest Surgery/Chest Contouring
In the News
- Loren Schechter, M.D., weighs in on the harmful impact of limiting the definition of gender to anatomy at birth. Watch the interview on ABC Channel 7.
- Loren S. Schechter, M.D., served as a surgical expert in the federal case that ordered Wisconsin to cover gender reassignment surgeries. Read the story below.
Journal Sentinel (USA Today)
- Loren Schechter, M.D., discusses transgender surgery and the uncertainty of Medicare coverage. Read the article on Bloomberg Law.
- Loren Schechter, M.D., discusses the need to transform transgender care in America on Huffington Post. Performing more gender confirmation surgeries at academic centers will help fill this education gap for medical students. Read the article.
- Loren Schechter, M.D., Director of the Center for Gender Confirmation Surgery at Weiss Memorial Hospital has been appointed Scientific Advisor on the forthcoming Gender Transition Exhibit at the International Museum of Surgical Science.
- Watch the news segments below to witness the difficult but amazing journey one mother and son make as they transition to father and daughter. Learn more about Dr. Loren Schechter and the Gender Confirmation Program at Weiss:
- Loren Schechter, M.D., Medical Director of the Center for Gender Confirmation Surgery at Weiss, discusses transgender youth in Chicago Health Magazine. Read the article.
- The New York Times profiles Kricket Nimmons and highlights the transgender movement in the U.S. Dr. Loren Schechter, Medical Director for The Center for Gender Confirmation Surgery at Weiss, is featured in the article, discussing the growing acceptance of gender confirmation surgeries. Read the article.
- Loren Schechter, M.D., performed the first gender confirmation surgery covered by Medicare in the United States. Watch the video and read the story featured on NBC News.
- Loren Schechter, M.D., Medical Director of the Center for Gender Confirmation Surgery at Weiss moderated the first ever panel about gender confirmation surgery at Plastic Surgery the Meeting. Read the article on Boston Magazine online.