When it comes to your medication, you want the right medication and dosages at a reasonable cost. Our Pharmacy Services at Weiss Memorial Hospital go above and beyond to ensure that’s exactly what you get. Along with this important function, our pharmacy team has expertise performing many aspects of clinical service as well as operational functions. Pharmacy Services at Weiss Memorial Hospital is located on the lower level of the hospital, A elevator. Our phone is (773) 564-5288 and our fax is (773) 564-5289.
Clinical service for Weiss’ Department of Pharmacy includes:
- Drug utilization
- Providing patients with the proper medication and dosage at the right time
- Drug therapy selection and review screening for allergies, drug/drug interaction and food/drug interaction
- Pharmacy and therapeutic committee reviews drug therapy, drug information, formulary service and antidote information
- Provides educational program for patients and hospital staff, and continuing education for pharmacy staff
- Allows free medications for eligible patients through patient assistance programs from major drug companies and privately funded programs
Operational functions for Weiss’ Department of Pharmacy include:
- Drug procurement and contracting and purchasing for special drug orders such as chemotherapy drugs
- Drug packaging to decrease waste and ease use
- Unit-dosed drug distribution to prevent error
- Drug preparation that includes IV admixture and special compounding
- Administrative compliance with state and federal law and with the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, the Federal Drug Administration, the Illinois Department of Public Health and the Pharmacy Practice Act
- Quality assurance including unit inspections for drug safety, tracking of medication errors and adverse drug reactions and participation in the FDA’s Medwatch program.