Medical Director, The Center for Gender Confirmation Surgery at Weiss Memorial Hospital
Dr. Schechter is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and Chief of the Division of Plastic Surgery at Chicago Medical School and Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, Il. After receiving his undergraduate degree with high distinction and honors in economics from the University of Michigan, Dr. Schechter earned his medical degree with honors from the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine. He then completed his residency in general and plastic surgery at the University of Chicago Hospitals, where he also completed a fellowship in reconstructive microsurgery. While at the University of Chicago, Dr. Schechter was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society and graduated as The Outstanding Student in Surgery.
Dr. Schechter is chair of the legislative affairs committee and past chair of the patient safety committee for The American Society of Plastic Surgeons. He is past president of both the Illinois Society of Plastic Surgeons and The Chicago Chapter of the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Schechter is a member of multiple surgical societies including The American College of Surgeons, The American Society of Plastic Surgeons, The American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery, The World Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery, The Midwest Association of Plastic Surgeons, and The Chicago Surgical Society.
Dr. Schechter was the local host for the 2007 biannual meeting of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health. In addition, he helped to author the 7th Edition of The Standards of Care, and serves on the editorial board for two transgender medical journals. He won the 2013 Illinois State Bar Association Award for Community Service for his advocacy efforts for the transgender community, and was recognized by the National Center for Lesbian Rights for his care of transgender individuals.
University Plastic Surgery Group
9000 Waukegan Road, Suite 210
Morton Grove, IL 60053
Medical School: University of Chicago Hospitals
Residency: University of Chicago Hospitals
Fellowship: University of Chicago Hospitals
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Request an Appointment
In the News
- Loren Schechter, M.D., weighs in on the harmful impact of limiting the definition of gender to anatomy at birth. Watch the interview on ABC Channel 7.
- Loren S. Schechter, M.D., served as a surgical expert in the federal case that ordered Wisconsin to cover gender reassignment surgeries. Read the story below.
Journal Sentinel (USA Today)
- Loren Schechter, M.D., discusses transgender surgery and the uncertainty of Medicare coverage. Read the article on Bloomberg Law.
- Loren Schechter, M.D., discusses the need to transform transgender care in America on Huffington Post. Performing more gender confirmation surgeries at academic centers will help fill this education gap for medical students. Read the article.
- Loren Schechter, M.D., Director of the Center for Gender Confirmation Surgery at Weiss Memorial Hospital has been appointed Scientific Advisor on the forthcoming Gender Transition Exhibit at the International Museum of Surgical Science.
- Watch the news segments below to witness the difficult but amazing journey one mother and son make as they transition to father and daughter. Learn more about Dr. Loren Schechter and the Gender Confirmation Program at Weiss:
- Loren Schechter, M.D., Medical Director of the Center for Gender Confirmation Surgery at Weiss, discusses transgender youth in Chicago Health Magazine. Read the article.
- The New York Times profiles Kricket Nimmons and highlights the transgender movement in the U.S. Dr. Loren Schechter, Medical Director for The Center for Gender Confirmation Surgery at Weiss, is featured in the article, discussing the growing acceptance of gender confirmation surgeries. Read the article.
- Loren Schechter, M.D., Medical Director of the Center for Gender Confirmation Surgery at Weiss moderated the first ever panel about gender confirmation surgery at Plastic Surgery the Meeting. Read the article on Boston Magazine online.
- Loren Schechter, M.D., performed the first gender confirmation surgery covered by Medicare in the United States. Watch the video and read the story featured on NBC News.