Finding Balance for Athletes of All Kinds
All athletes require medical attention at some point in their athletic life—a sprained ankle here, a muscle pull there. And Weiss is committed to educating and taking care of athletes at all levels.
The sports medicine experts at Weiss treat professional basketball players right alongside recreational runners. But it’s not only medical treatment they offer. These physicians are out to educate about healthy lifestyle choices, fitness, and injury prevention. They accomplish this by offering exclusive partnerships to professional teams and schools throughout the Chicago area.
“Weiss understands that professional athletes, as well as weekend warriors, need to have a destination that will provide quality service if they are injured. Aside from providing this service for the pro teams and schools we work with, the marketing benefits we receive from these teams allows us to get the message out to the public that Weiss Hospital is the place to go if you have any sports-related aches and pains,” says Yaro Dachniwsky, director of Sports Business Development at Weiss.
Dachniwsky works closely with the teams, visiting them on-site and serving as a conduit between the team and Weiss physicians.
Meanwhile, CCO orthopedic surgeons and sports medicine physicians—with affiliations at Chicago’s academic and research facilities—provide exceptional medical care to ensure the long-term health and viability of these professional athletes.
“We have an orthopedic team that rivals any in this market. We also provide a physician that will visit each team we work with weekly,” Dachniwsky explains.
He mentions Dr. Bass, who coordinates pre- and post-season physicals and communicates with team trainers daily.
“Once an athlete is screened and needs care at the hospital, we provide a coordinator who will walk the athlete through the entire process including imaging and surgery, if needed,” Dachniwsky says. “The entire process is seamless.”
Weiss’ team partnerships and the physicians involved include:
- Sports medicine specialists Benjamin Domb, M.D., and Suzanne Pham, M.D., serve as team physicians for the Chicago Sky professional women's basketball team.
- Sports Medicine specialist Danielle Bass, M.D., is the team physician for the Chicago Bandits professional women’s softball team.
- Sports Medicine specialist Danielle Bass, M.D., is the team physician for the Robert Morris University Eagles.
- Sports Medicine specialist Danielle Bass, M.D., is the team physician for the Saint Rita Mustangs.
- Sports Medicine specialist Danielle Bass, M.D., is the team physician for the Schaumburg Boomers professional baseball team.
- Sports Medicine specialist Danielle Bass, M.D., is the team physician for the South Suburban Bulldogs.
- Sports medicine specialist Preston Wolin, M.D., serves as the team physician for the Windy City Thunderbolts.
Perhaps the most important aspect of Weiss Sports Medicine program is that many of the doctors are or were athletes themselves. This gives them a unique understanding of their patients and what those patients are up against mentally, emotionally, and physically.
“Athletes are able to work with our physicians who have extensive experience in sports. We have physicians who can provide head to toe care, understanding the balance of an athlete’s desire to return to play with the proper rest and rehab to help avoid re-injury,” Dachniwsky says.