Preparation for Surgery
Learn what to expect the day of your surgery. Our Preparing for Your Procedure guide also offers helpful information for you and your loved ones. Follow the guidelines carefully, unless your surgeon directs you otherwise. If you have any questions, contact us at (773) 564-5857.
Please arrange to have your pre-operative testing done by your primary care doctor. If you do not have a primary care doctor, your surgeon can refer you to a Weiss doctor. Your surgeon will also provide you an order for the diagnostic tests required for your procedure. Please note: If testing is not completed before the day of your procedure, your surgery may be rescheduled.
Presurgical Phone Call/Confirmation
A nurse will call you to review your health history and provide instructions for pre-operative preparation, including time of arrival. If you have any questions, please call our nurse at (773) 564-5857.
Pre-registering for Your Procedure
Call our pre-registration department at (773) 564-7552 at least two business days before your procedure to register. You’ll need the following information ready when you call:
- Your contact information (name, address and telephone number)
- Social Security number
- Health insurance information
Your surgeon’s office will pre-certify your procedure and verify your benefits. It’s recommended that you contact your insurance company and understand your benefits and precertification requirements. You’ll be expected to meet your financial obligations before surgery (copay, coinsurance, deductible).
What to Bring the Day of Your Surgery
- A written list of the medications you take, including the dosages and frequency.
- Photo ID (driver’s license or state ID).
- Insurance card and information.
- Names and phone numbers of family or friends to contact in case of an emergency.
- Comfortable clothes to wear home.
- Copy of advance directives (if you have any).
- A responsible adult to take you home for all outpatient same-day procedures. You won’t be able to drive the day of your procedure.
- Do not eat or drink after midnight the evening before your procedure (this includes gum, candy and mints). You may brush your teeth and rinse your mouth the morning of surgery as long as you don’t swallow. If you eat/drink anything after midnight, your surgery may be delayed, postponed or rescheduled.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol after midnight before your surgery.
- Several weeks before surgery, ask your surgeon if you should stop taking any of your medications.
If you need to cancel your surgery, call your doctor’s office first. If you are feeling ill the morning of the surgery, please notify the surgery scheduling office so we can determine if your procedure should be rescheduled. The surgical scheduling office phone number is (773) 564-5933 and is open from 6 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Weiss Memorial Hospital
Second Floor, A Elevator
(773) 564-5857 (General Inquiries)
(773) 564-7552 (Pre-Registration)
(773) 564-5933 (Scheduling Office)