Residencies & Fellowships
The Educational Experience
At Weiss, our program philosophy is to provide quality clinical training to our residents in a nurturing and friendly environment. We emphasize an academic approach to problem solving incorporating critical thinking skills. Residency training incorporates a varied case mix encompassing primary as well as tertiary care, thereby providing a broad based educational experience. Residents gain solid training in basic clinical skills including comprehensive history and physical examinations.
Weiss Memorial Hospital is a university-affiliated community teaching hospital located in an area that has a culturally diverse patient population base. Our residency programs provide a truly unique educational experience for those seeking a well-rounded training. We are academically affiliated with the University of Illinois and all residency programs at Weiss are fully accredited by the ACGME.
During the course of their training:
- All categorical PGY1s and PGY3s are required to pass an observed clinical examination.
- All categorical PGY1s and PGY3s are required to pass an in-house promotional examination.
- All residents are required to take the ACP In-training exam annually.
Weiss Memorial Hospital is conveniently located at 4646 N. Marine Drive (Wilson at Lake Shore Drive), on the lakefront of the city of Chicago. A major national center for medical education, Chicago is also the home of the American Medical Association and the American College of Surgeons.
Beaches on Lake Michigan are within walking distance from the hospital. The Art Institute, Field Museum of Natural History, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, Museum of Science and Industry, Museum of Contemporary Art, and Lincoln Park Zoo and Conservatory are all within easy reach.
The summer months bring a variety of activities, including art fairs in the Lake View, Uptown, Gold Coast, Old Town and Hyde Park neighborhoods, and free concerts at beautiful Millennium Park. The Lyric Opera of Chicago, Chicago Symphony Orchestra and the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre are just a few of the city’s cultural treasures.
For sports fans, Chicago is home to Cubs and White Sox baseball, Chicago Bulls basketball, Chicago Bears football, Chicago Blackhawks hockey and the Chicago Fire soccer. Beautiful theaters located in downtown Chicago are home to exciting plays, musicals and ballets. Please visit the City of Chicago website for more information.
Weiss Memorial Hospital has teamed up with several professional athletic organizations to become their exclusive healthcare partner, providing them with team doctors.
Weiss Memorial Hospital’s location provides easy access to public transportation with buses that stop in front of the hospital. The L trains are only four blocks from the hospital. Easy connections are made to either O’Hare or Midway Airports via the L trains or combination of bus routes and the L train.
At Weiss, our graduate programs include:
- Transitional Year Program (one year): 8 positions
- Preliminary Medicine Program (one year): 4 positions
- Categorical Internal Medicine Program (three years): 15 positions per year
- Sports Medicine Fellowship Program (one year): 1 position
- Podiatry Program (three years): 5 positions per year
- Critical Care
- General Surgery
- Infectious Diseases
- Nuclear Medicine
- Palliative Care
- Radiation Oncology
- The required ambulatory month for categorical internal medicine includes clinics in internal medicine, dermatology, ob/gyn, orthopedics, pulmonary and sleep medicine, sports medicine, podiatry, and general surgery.
- The required ambulatory month for transitional and preliminary year includes clinics in pediatrics, general medicine, general surgery, family medicine and ob/gyn.
(Allowed only for PGY-2 and PGY-3 levels)
University of Illinois, Chicago: Most specialties available. Other outside rotations in the Chicagoland area may be arranged by residents with approval of the Program Director.
- CME Lectures
- Core Lectures
- Geriatric Conference
- Grand Rounds
- Journal Clubs
- Morbidity and Mortality Conferences
- Morning Reports
- Organ Rounds
- Program Director Rounds
- Psychosocial Rounds
- Resident Topic Reviews
- Teaching Rounds at Bedside
- Tumor Boards
For 2022-2023, Weiss is offering positions in the categorical internal medicine, preliminary medicine and transitional year programs. To apply:
- All applications must be sent through ERAS. We will not accept faxed, mailed or emailed applications.
- The minimum score requirements are:
– Internal Medicine Program: 230 in step 1 and 240 in step 2
– Preliminary Year: 230 in step 1
– Transitional Year Program: 230 in step 1
- Scores cannot be combined for an average required score
- The Step 1 minimum score requirement applies to those applicants who took the exam prior to the Pass/Fail only reporting.
- Application deadlines for 2022-2023 season are as follows:
Transitional Year Applicants
- Application deadline – December 1, 2022
- Interview Dates – November 4, 2022 until January 30, 2023
Internal Medicine Applicants (Categorical and Preliminary)
- Application deadline – November 1, 2022
- Interview Dates – November 4, 2022 until January 30, 2023
- Although we have no definite cut-off period from the year of medical school graduation, applicants who have graduated in the past three years are preferred.
- International graduates do not need an ECFMG certificate in order to apply; however, they do need to be ECFMG certified before the end of the interviewing season. ECFMG certification is required for NRMP ranking.
- J1 visas are the only visas sponsored by the program at this time.
- U.S. clinical experience, although preferred, is not a requirement for our programs.
- Three letters of recommendation are required, one of which should preferably be a dean’s letter.
- The Internal Medicine Residency Program does not participate in the NRMP match.
- The Transitional Year Residency Program participates in the NRMP match.
Salary and Benefits
The resident salaries for the 2022 – 2023 academic year are:
- PGY1: $58,261
- PGY2: $59,995
- PGY3: $61,916
Benefits include (subject to change):
- Medical coverage available
- Dental coverage available
- Vision coverage available
- Flexible Spending Account
- Vacation: 4 weeks
- Long-term disability
- Basic life and AD&D insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tax-sheltered annuity plans
- Direct deposit
- Educational stipend: PGY-1 residents receive $500, PGY-2 residents receive $1,000 and PGY-3 residents receive $1,500 for conference fees, related travel expenses and other educational related expenses approved by the Program Administrator.
- Housing: Many housing options are available locally and throughout Chicago’s North Side.
- Parking: Free parking is available in the hospital’s parking facility.
Click to view a list of the resident research and scholarly activity over the past few years.
- “Gitelman Syndrome: A Rare Cause of Seizure Disorder and a Systematic Review”, Presenter- M. Asim Shahzad; poster presented at ACP Northern IL Regional Associates’ Day October 2018, Chicago, IL and published in Hindawi in February, 2019
- “Noninvasive Evaluations of Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Pediatric Populations”, Co-Author- Aysha Aslam; published in Advanced Research in Gastroenterology & Hepatology, January 2019
- “Timely Administration of Birth Dose Hepatitis B Virus Vaccine May Break Chain of Perinatal Transmission”, Author- Aysha Aslam et al.; published in Hepatology, May 2019
- “The Promising Role of Probiotic and Synbiotic Therapy in Aminotransferase Levels and Inflammatory Markers in Patients with Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease- A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis”, Co-author- Aysha Aslam; published in the European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, June 2019
- “Tolvaptan-induced Liver Injury: Who is at Risk? A Case Report and Literature Review”, Co-author- Aysha Aslam; published on Cureus Open Access, June 2019
- “Think Aortic Dissection in HIV Patients”, Presenter- Arati KC; poster presented at SGIM (Society of General Internal Medicine) Midwest regional meeting, September 2019, Minneapolis, MN
- “Recognize Interstitial Pneumonitis Caused by Drug Toxicity, Particularly Chemotherapeutic Agent- Zytiga”, Presenter- Irisha Badu; presented at SGIM (Society of General Internal Medicine) Midwest regional meeting, September 2019, Minneapolis, MN
- “Osmotic Demyelination Syndrome: It is Not Always about Salt”, Presenter- Fadee Kutom; poster presented at SGIM (Society of General Internal Medicine) Midwest regional meeting, September 2019, Minneapolis, MN; and accepted poster at ACP Northern IL Regional Associates’ Day October 2019, Chicago, IL
- “Resilience and Burn Out in Medicine”, Presenter- Anne Williams-Darrow; accepted oral presentation at the Medical Organization for Latino Advancement Regional Conference October, 2019, Chicago, IL
- “Ruptured Appendiceal Mucocele, a Rare Entity of the Appendix: The Presentation and Management in the Elderly”, Presenter- K. May Jongyotha; accepted poster at ACP Northern IL Regional Associates’ Day October 2019, Chicago, IL
- “Syncope- So Long Misdiagnosed and Overdiagnosed”, Oral presentation by- Irisha Badu, accepted oral vignette to be presented at the ACP Northern IL Regional Associates’ Day October 2019, Chicago, IL
- “High Degree AV Block in NSTEMI: Role of Early Revascularization”, Presenter- Raj J. Patel, accepted poster at ACP Northern IL Regional Associates’ Day October 2019, Chicago, IL
- “Octreotide Use in Severe Refractory Sulfonylurea-Induced Hypoglycemia During a Shortage of 50% Dextrose Injection”, Presenter- Hussam Syed; accepted poster at ACP Northern IL Regional Associates’ Day October 2019, Chicago, IL
- “Recurrent Chest Pains- Guess What is the Culprit?”, Presenter- Aysha Aslam, accepted poster at ACP Northern IL Regional Associates’ Day October 2019, Chicago, IL
- ” ‘I Look like an Animal’- Rare case of Bullous Pemphigoid Due to Dose-Related Toxicity of Nivolumab”, Presenter- Irisha Badu; accepted poster at ACP Northern IL Regional Associates’ Day October 2019, Chicago, IL
- “Methanol Toxicity: A Rare Cause of Vasodilatory Shock”, Presenter- M. Asim Shahzad; accepted poster at ACP Northern IL Regional Associates’ Day October 2019, Chicago, IL
- “Time to Administration of First Antibiotic Dose in Sepsis Patients- Phase II”, Presenter- M. Ihtesham Shaji; accepted QI poster at ACP Northern IL Regional Associates’ Day October 2019, Chicago, IL
- “To Treat or Not to Treat- Unusual Presentation of Hepatitis B Serology Markers”, Presenter- Yating Wang; accepted poster at ACP Northern IL Regional Associates’ Day October 2019, Chicago, IL
- “Peptic Ulcer Disease in the Ileum? A Case of Recurrent Bleeding from H. pylori Infecting Ectopic Gastric Mucosa Found at Ileostomy”, Presenter- Sidra Ahsan; accepted poster at ACP Northern IL Regional Associates’ Day October 2019, Chicago, IL
- “Don’t Judge a Book by its Cover- The Challenges of Diagnosing Nondilated Obstructive Uropathy”, Presenter- M. Asim Shahzad; accepted Poster at ASN Kidney Week November 2019, Washington D.C.
- “A Case of Severe Anaphylactic Reaction to Taxanes, Fatal Catalyst for Sickle Cell Crisis: Unusual Presentation”, Presenter- Irisha Badu; accepted poster at SCON (World Summit on Cancer Science and Oncology Research) Conference November 2019, Las Vegas, NV
- “Locally Advanced Prostate Cancer Imaging Findings and Implications for Treatment”, Author- Sherif Elsherif et al.; accepted article in Abdominal Radiology, 2019
- “Ovarian Cancer Genetics and Implications for imaging and Therapy”, Author- Sherif Elsherif et al.; accepted article in Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, 2019
- “Intestinal Vasculitis Masquerading as Appendicitis”, Co-Author- Sidra Ahsan; case report submitted to ACG Case Report Journal, 2019
- “Improving Osteoporosis Screening in Women Above 65 Years Old in Our Residency Clinic,” ACP Illinois Northern Region Residents’ and Medical Students’ Day, October 23, 2019; Weiss Research Day, 2019 and 2020. Presenter – Jose G Escobar
- “Role of USG in AKI in Acute Hospital Setting,” ACP Illinois Northern Region Residents’ and Medical Students’ Day, October 23, 2019; Weiss Research Day, May 20, 2020. Presenter/Author – Jasleen Brar
- “Impact of Using Low Dose Contrast in CT Angiography for the Diagnosis of Pulmonary Embolism,” poster presentation, CHEST Annual Meeting, New Orleans, October 22, 2019. Presenter/Author – Zin Htun, Arati K C
- “Clinical Outcomes of IVC Filter in Complicated Pulmonary Embolism,” Pulmonary Circulation, November 20, 2019. Presenter/Author – Zin Htun
- “Osmotic Demyelination Syndrome: It’s Not Always About the Salt.” ACP Residents’ and Medical Students’ Day, October 23, 2019. Presenter/Author – Fadee Kutom
- “Heart Failure 360: Improving the Quality of Inpatient Heart Failure Care in a Community Teaching Hospital.” ACP Residents’ and Medical Students’ Day, October 23, 2019, and Weiss Research Day, May 19, 2021. Presenter/Author – Fadee Kutom
- “Heart Failure in Young Adult with COVID-19.” ACP Residents’ and Medical Students’ Day, November 4, 2020. Martin Kwiatkowski
- “Dexamethasone in Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients: The Outcome of Using Methylprednisolone Therapy in Patients with COVID-19 Pneumonia. Retrospective Analysis.” ACP Residents’ and Medical Students’ Day, November 4, 2020, Weiss Research Day, May 19, 2021. Presenter/Author – Khemaporn Lertdetkajorn
- “NMR-Based Metabolomics for the Screening of Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Type 2 Diabetes.” American Diabetes Association 80th Scientific Sessions, June 12-16, 2020. Presenter/Author – Khemaporn Lertdetkajorn
- “Metformin Toxicity After Colonoscopy.” ACP Residents’ and Medical Students’ Day, November 4, 2020, and Weiss Research Day, May 19, 2021. Presenter/Author – Inderpreet Kaur Madahar
- High Degree AV Block in NSTEMI: Role of Early Revascularization.” Cureus Journal, July 2020
- “Get With the Guidelines – Heart Failure.” NEJM QI Challenge, May 2020. Presenter/Author – Raj J. Patel
- “Fatal Nonvariceal Gastrointestinal Bleeding in a Cirrhotic Patient Taking Apixaban with No History of Hemorrhage.” Cureus Journal, November 2019. Presenter/Author – Hung-Wen Yen
- “Incidence and Clinical Outcomes of Clostridium Difficile Colitis in Liver Transplantation Recipients: A Nationwide Analysis 2007-2017.” ACG, October 28, 2020. Presenter/Author – Aysha Aslam
- “Evaluation and Improvement of Hepatitis A and B Immunization Status in Patients with Chronic Liver Disease.” ACP Residents’ and Medical Students’ Day, November 4, 2020. Presenter/Author – Aysha Aslam
- “Evaluation and Improvement of Hepatitis A and B Immunization Status in Patients with Chronic Liver Disease.” ACP Residents’ and Medical Students’ Day, November 4, 2020. Presenter/Author – Aysha Aslam, Jose Gonzalez Portugal, Hamood Dhillon, Anna Zubovskaia, Suzanne Pham.
- “The Unusual Suspect.” ACP Residents’ and Medical Students’ Day, November 4, 2020, and Weiss Research Day, May 19, 2021. Presenter/Author – Chaudhry Hamood A Dhillon
- “GWTG Heart Failure Compliance Quality Improvement Initiative.” NEJM Resident 360 QI Challenge, May 2020. Presenter/Author –Thomas Edgar
- “Salty Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic State.” ACP Residents’ and Medical Students’ Day, November 4, 2020 Presenter/Author –Thomas Edgar
- “Metformin and Lactic Acidosis.” SGIM 2021 and Weiss Research Day, May 19, 2021. Presenter/Author – Azfar Farooqi
- “Lipemic Blood and Acidosis, A False Alarm?” ACP Residents’ and Medical Students’ Day, November 4, 2020, and Weiss Research Day, May 19, 2021. Presenter/Author – Muhammad Goraya
- “Osteoporosis Screening in Residency Clinic: Time to Take Responsibility.” ACP Residents’ and Medical Students’ Day, October 23, 2019, and Weiss Research Day, May 20, 2020. Presenter/Author – Zorana Grujic
- “Another Interesting Case of Ephedra Associated Cardiomyopathy.” ACP Residents’ and Medical Students’ Day, November 18, 2020. Presenter/Author – Chinwendu Adaobi Ileka
- “Zieve’s Syndrome: A Rare Cause of Hemolytic Anemia in Alcoholic Hepatitis Patients.” ACP Residents’ and Medical Students’ Day, November 4, 2020. Presenter/Author – Marianna Kryvokrysenko
- “Impact of Non Invasive Ventilation( NIV) in the Treatment of Acute Hypoxemic Respiratory Failure during COVID-19 Pandemic: Retrospective Study in a Community Based Teaching Hospital in Chicago”: First Author Mehmet Vural; presented CHEST 2021 Conference – Presenter/Author – Mehmet Vural
- “Where Has all the Bicarbonate Gone ?” Case Report First Author Mehmet Vural: ACP 2021 Northern Illinois Meeting. Presenter/Author – Mehmet Vural
- “A new onset hypermetabolic lymphadenopathy in patient with breast cancer and COVID-19 infection: a case report”. Zubovskaia A., Boshkovska Spaseski M., Hashimi M., Singh J., Kuznetsova M. ACP Northern Illinois Chapter, oral clinical vignette, November 2021.
- “A drug reaction in a patient with multiple myeloma: a challenging diagnosis.”. Zubovskaia A., Dhillon H., Shah Z. PGY-2. ACP Illinois Northern Chapter, poster presentation, November 2020
- “Outcomes of Nursing Homes Patients Admitted with Covid19 Pneumonia at a Community Hospital in Chicago – 2020”. ACP Illinois Northern Chapter, poster presentation, November 2020. Presenter/Author – Elena Baltag
- “Program Directors Research Productivity and Other Factors of Anesthesiology Residency Programs That Relate to Program Doximity Ranking.” Article. Co- author- Parvin Nejatmahmoodaliloo. Published on Journal of Education in Perioperative Medicine, 2021, April.
- Cited in PubMed; PMID: 20053203. Pub Status: Published.
- “Hodgkin Lymphoma Associated Vanishing Bile Duct Syndrome Successfully Treated with Radiation as a Bridge to Chemotherapy.” Maryam Ebadi, Jeffrey Olson, Justin Bateman, Damien Mathew, Jianling Yuan, Armin Rashidi.. Precision Radiation Oncology. 2021; 5(2):110-14.
- “No evidence for colonization of oral bacteria in the distal gut in healthy adults.” Armin Rashidi, Maryam Ebadi, Daniel J Weisdorf, Massimo Castalongo, Christopher Staley. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2021; 118(42):e2114152118.
- “Altered microbiota-host metabolic cross talk preceding neutropenic fever in patients with acute leukemia.” Armin Rashidi, Maryam Ebadi, Tauseef Ur Rehman, Heba Elhusseini, Harika Nalluri, Thomas Kaiser, Sivapriya Ramamoorthy, Shernan G Holtan, Alexander Khoruts, Daniel J Weisdorf, Christopher Staley. Blood Advances. 2021; 5(20):3937-50.
- “Quantitative Serum PCR Argues against Long-term Persistence of HHV-6 Viremia after Umbilical Cord Blood Transplantation” Maryam Ebadi, Justin Wasko, Jeffrey S. Miller, Daniel J. Weisdorf, Armin Rashidi. 2021; 23(3):e13555.
- “Circulating Bacterial DNA and Neutropenic Fever during Anti-leukaemia Chemotherapy. British Journal of Haematology.” Armin Rashidi, Thomas Kaiser, Maryam Ebadi, Shernan G. Holtan, Tauseef Ur Rehman, Daniel J. Weisdorf, Alexander Khoruts, Christopher Staley. 2020; 191(2):e55-e58.
- “It’s All in the Film.” Maryam Ebadi, Amy K. Beckman, Sophia L. Yohe, Armin Rashidi, Gregory M. Vercellotti. British Journal of Haematology. 2020; 89(1):8.
- “Exogenous HMGB1 promotes the proliferation and metastasis of pancreatic cancer cells.” Zhu L, Ren S, Daniels MJ, Qiu W, Song L, You T, Wang D, Wang Z. Frontiers in Medicine, section Gastroenterology. October 4, 2021.
- “Preoperative differentiation of serous cystic neoplasms from mucin-producing pancreatic cystic neoplasms using a CT-based radiomics nomogram.” Chen S, Ren S, Qian L, Daniels MJ, Duan S, Wang Z, Chen R. Abdominal Radiology. February 8, 2021.
- “Assessment of RAPID and Syngo.via in Core Infarct Estimate Compared with DW-MRI Obtained within 24 Hours.” Daniels MJ, Sherbaf F, Lin D. Electronic Poster Presentation. American Society of Neuroradiology Annual Meeting. May 22-26, 2021.
- “Comparing Resident and Faculty Perspectives for In-Person versus Online-based Radiology Lectures.” Daniels MJ, England RW, Guryildirim M, Son J, Bokhari D. Electronic Poster Presentation. ACR 2021 Virtual Annual Meeting. May 15-19, 2021.
Medical Student Program
Medical students from the University of Illinois, Chicago and Rosalind Franklin University rotate through Weiss Memorial Hospital as part of their core clerkship in medicine and as sub-interns in the ICU.
Due to the present pandemic, please ensure that you review all travel restrictions to the city of Chicago before making any plans.
- Program Director: Shehzad Ali, M.D., F.A.C.P.
- Associate Program Director: Allan Tachauer, M.D., F.A.C.P.
- Associate Program Director: Suzanne Pham, M.D., F.A.A.P.
- 2022-2023 Chief Residents: Zunairah Shah, M.D., and Mehmet Vural, M.D.
- Director of Graduate Medical Education: Terry N. Tuohy
- Program Coordinators: Becky Finley and Karen Verga
- Core Faculty: Sabah Khan, M.D., Clement Rose, M.D., Olumuyiwa Idowu, M.D., Maja Spaseski, M.D., Alam Khan, M.D.
Email our Medical Education Department at [email protected]
Due to the large volume of emails during the interview season, we are unable to respond individually.
Email us to learn more about our residency programs
4646 N. Marine Drive
Chicago, IL 60640 Weiss Memorial Hospital