At Weiss Memorial Hospital, our comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation program is committed to helping individuals return to a life of maximum independence. We work to improve a patient’s ability to provide self-care as well as teach patients and their families how to adapt to changes resulting from impairments in mobility, safety, communication, cognition, and swallowing. We use evidence-based practices to strive for superior patient outcomes and excellent patient satisfaction.
What types of patients do we treat?
At Weiss our inpatient rehabilitation is intended for:
- Neurological patients: acute stroke, Parkinson’s, MS, brain injury/anoxia/encephalopathy, spinal cord stenosis
- Orthopedic patients: hip fractures, joint replacement over 85, bilateral joint replacements, and joint replacement with a history of neurological event
- COVID-19 related illness
- Deconditioned and medically complex patients
How do you refer a patient?
To refer a patient to our inpatient rehabilitation:
- A written doctor’s order is required for services
- Referrals or requests for assessments can be made by contacting an intake coordinator
- Contact the coordinator: Monday-Friday by phone (773) 564-5422 or fax (773) 564-5424
What should you include with your referral?
To ensure the best care, please include the following with your patient referral:
- Demographic sheet
- Doctor H&P and progress notes
- Therapy notes
- Plan for IV antibiotics
- Anticipated discharge date
An Interdisciplinary Team Approach
At Weiss, patients admitted to the Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit receive interdisciplinary care led by a doctor specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation. Each patient is scheduled to receive three hours of therapy at least five days a week. We encourage each patient’s primary care doctor to play an integral role in the rehabilitation process. Patients receive coordinated services, which may include:
- Dietician services
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care
- Psychology/Psychiatry care
- Occupational therapy
- Social work/case management services
- Physiatry care
- Speech language pathology
Download our Referring a Patient: Inpatient Rehabilitation brochure.