Investment in new equipment, facilities upgrades, expanded clinical programs and enhanced community engagement are among the highlights of Weiss Memorial Hospital’s impact in the local community in 2021.
Published this week and posted online, the hospital’s 2021 Community Impact Report describes key accomplishments of the past year – all achieved while Weiss faced the challenges of the ongoing pandemic.
In a message published in the report, Weiss Memorial Hospital’s Governing Board Chair Michael Rosenberg says that the COVID-19 pandemic has presented significant challenges to the hospital and to hospitals across the country.
“In our Chicago-area community, I am proud that Weiss Memorial Hospital not only remained open to care for patients, but also made progress in important revitalization programs to enhance patient care going forward,” he writes.
Among the highlights of the past year, Weiss:
- Created a premier Orthopedics Program with renovation of the soon-to-open inpatient unit, recruitment of three highly-trained surgeons and acquisition of state-of-the-art robotic technology.
- Expanded its Outpatient Behavioral Health Program opened in 2020, with service provided through telehealth and in person.
- Recruited a physician group specializing in Pain Management to add important expertise to a variety of clinical services.
- Achieved Senior-Friendly Emergency Department and Senior-Friendly System designation, recognizing efforts to create a great patient experience.
- Sponsored several community events including the Transgender Ice Cream Social and Northalsted Market Days, both in support of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Continued to provide a variety of services and support through its Senior Center.
“We are proud of our employees and physicians who continue to demonstrate compassion for and commitment to our surrounding communities,” said Irene Dumanis, chief executive officer.
“This has been an exciting year of investment and revitalization to enhance our care to the patients we serve, and we are especially excited about opening our beautiful new orthopedic unit this spring, home to our expert physicians in the Chicago Center for Orthopedics. We plan to continue our strong tradition of service to patients for years to come.”